Health Energy Learning Motivation thru Sports is a collaboration of five agencies supporting individuals with intellectual disabilities and the YMCAs of Quinte West/Belleville. The purpose is to provide people with intellectual disabilities an opportunity to experience community sports activities in an inclusive manner. This was accomplished through cooperation between the HELMS Steering Committee and the various community sports organizations. Funding was received in part from the Healthy Communities Fund of the Ministry of Health Promotion and Sports.
The HELMS Program supports the beliefs that:
* every person should have the opportunity to participate in sports that may enrich their lives;
* every person can achieve a healthier life style through participation in sports;
* every person can become more proficient in sports;
* every person can participate more fully in the life of their community through sports activities.
Through participation in the HELMS Program, people with an intellectual disability are able to:
1. achieve improved overall health, fitness and satisfaction levels
2. strengthen their knowledge of what constitutes a healthy life style
3. increase their motivation and understanding of sports and/or physi-
cal activities available to them
4. increase natural connections to the community
Top Shelf 3 on 3 Street Hockey
The Top Shelf Ball Hockey Tournament was a great success. The weather was fantastic, we couldn’t have ordered a more perfect day.Thank you to McDonald’s for providing coffee and muffins to get the morning going. The excitement could be felt as teams geared up in anticipation of meeting their first opponents. Six teams came out to vie for the top spot. Each team played four games in the round robin with the top four teams moving into the semi finals. The final game was a hard go between two well matched teams. The Snipers won.
We want to thank our sponsors Lakeland Multi-trade and Community Visions and Networking. We also want to thank prize donors: McDonalds, Ken and Nikki Crawford, Harveys, Toppers Pizza, Captain George’s, Home Hardware and the many members of HELMS for donated gift cards and silent auction items. Thank you to Wally Dever arena and YMCA Belleville for use of the nets for this tournament.
Last but definitely not least we wish to thank the many volunteers that helped with food sales, organization of silent auction items, time keeping, and other things that were needed to make this a success. There were also four quality referees that donated their time to make this a success.
We were able to raise just over $1200 with this tournament. Everyone left saying how much fun they had had and that they would be back next year and would bring some friends. We look forward to it.