Health Energy Learning Motivation thru Sports is a collaboration of five agencies supporting individuals with intellectual disabilities and the YMCAs of Quinte West/Belleville. The purpose is to provide people with intellectual disabilities an opportunity to experience community sports activities in an inclusive manner. This was accomplished through cooperation between the HELMS Steering Committee and the various community sports organizations. Funding was received in part from the Healthy Communities Fund of the Ministry of Health Promotion and Sports.
The HELMS Program supports the beliefs that:
* every person should have the opportunity to participate in sports that may enrich their lives;
* every person can achieve a healthier life style through participation in sports;
* every person can become more proficient in sports;
* every person can participate more fully in the life of their community through sports activities.
Through participation in the HELMS Program, people with an intellectual disability are able to:
1. achieve improved overall health, fitness and satisfaction levels
2. strengthen their knowledge of what constitutes a healthy life style
3. increase their motivation and understanding of sports and/or physi-
cal activities available to them
4. increase natural connections to the community
We now have a new website for the Helms Program. Click Here
Top Shelf 3 on 3 Street Hockey
We are getting ready for the 3rd Annual tournament!